4 All Memory

Thursday, September 18, 2008

GE E850 8 Megapixel Camera - Review/comparison to old Sony Cybershot 5MP

I purchased this camera from TigerDirect.com, one of my favorite electronics shops online. It looked like a nice little inexpensive replacement for my 4 year old Sony Cybershot that had the optics go out a couple weeks back. Ordered the camera and it was at my house 2 days later (typical for TD, even with basic shipping!)
The camera itself was decent in build and quality. Very lightweight, but about twice as thick as my old Sony. I was willing to deal with it for a $129.99 camera vs. the nearly $450 I paid for the Sony. The pictures it takes are crisp and clear. Very nice options for lower light shots, which worked well in the house in the evenings. The color correction and flash worked well together. I didn't really notice much improvement between the older 5MP photos and the new 8MP photos. Not sure it really makes a difference. I used to be able to print flawless 8x10s from an old HP 1MP. Maybe I just take good pictures! :)
The battery must be removed to be charged, something I am not fond of. I was informed that cradles are rarely ever used anymore as people like to have multiple batteries for their cameras so they have opted to go this route. Personally, I always left my Sony in its cradle. It was always charged, and I always knew where it was. I don't like not having a cradle.
The USB connection to the camera is very fast. About 5 times faster than the old camera. I liked how fast the transfers of files happened to the computer.
Problem is, I only got about 6 days use out of it. I believe the lightweight side lost a little on the ruggedness. My wife was using the camera and dropped it in the house, on the carpet. A fall of less than 5 feet onto carpeted, padded flooring snapped off the LCD cover and splintered the screen (like a broken cell phone screen). The camera still takes photos, but it's a guessing game now. With the broken LCD, you have no idea what is in frame and what is not.
Looks like I'm in the market for a new camera, for the second time in a month. I have found the camera I believe I am leaning towards, and it's a Kodak M1033. Biggest selling point? You can get a cradle/dock for about $35, and Sams Club sells the whole deal. I'll let you know how it works out as soon as I get it and test it.

No comments: