4 All Memory

Monday, May 18, 2009

Power Wheels Modifications

Ok, I have young children, and toys are still abig part of everyday life. I have been able to quickly, and very cheaply accumulate 3 powerwheels vehicles, all 4-wheeler-type units. All are standard dual 6V battery types. Two are identical older style Ninjas, and one is a newer style Black and Green Ninja. All very neat. I am just beginning on my "modification" journey, but figured I'd share in my learning and struggles along the way.

The first, and simplest modification, is POWER! Upgrading the batteries, the source of power, is relatively easy. I purchased my batteries from Gruber Power Services . I wish I could say I would get a commission if you clicked the above link, but I don't. They do sell excellent batteries though.

I purchased the following units to upgrade the standard 12v setup to an 18v setup:
QTY - 2 :
58AGPS-12-12-F2 Battery - AGM - GPS - 12 Volt - 12 AH - F2 - standard 12v 12AH batteries
QTY - 2 : 58AGPS-6-12-F2 Battery - AGM - GPS - 6 Volt - 12 AH - F2 - standard 6v12AH batteries

The original (Red) Powerwheels 6v batteries are only 9.5AH rated. These newer batteries have a longer runtime.

As I get time, and to make things a little less bulky I will have future posts about the following subjects, and possibly more to come.

First discussion: CONNECTIONS - Battery connectors:Factory to upgraded.

Second discussion: Wiring - Does the PW need the wiring changed?

Third Discussion: Charging

Fourth Discussion: Gearboxes

And possibly more to come.

No comments: