4 All Memory

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Acer AL1912 19" LCD monitor


I purchased this monitor about 3 years ago when we moved into our new house. My wife wanted something small to have in the kitchen for her computer, and it takes up a LOT less room than the old standard tube monitors we used to have. As a 19" monitor, it does reasonably well. It doesn't have the resolution capabilities of more expensive models, so if you;re looking for super high resolution, this is NOT the monitor for you. It is also not widescreen. I prefer the standard 4x3 as I do a lot of work in Excel and Word, and widescreens make it much less user friendly as I spend half of the day scrolling to find data in my documents.


Technical Details:

1,280 x 1,024 native resolution, fine 0.294 mm dot pitch
Wide 140-degree horizontal and vertical viewing angles
250 nits of brightness, 500:1 contrast ratio, 16 ms response time
Simple setup; supports optional wall mount
PC compatible; 3-year warranty


I run mine at 1280x1024 32bit 72 Hertz. I always up the frequency above 60 Hertz as I have an issue with 60Hz and lower that it causes headaches. Yes, my eyes are that sensitive. With these setting, I have excellent results. The autoconfig function does a really good job of setting the screen dead center. The adjustability through the user controls are a little tricky, but very simple once you get used to them, and truthfully, I don't change them once I get them set. (Who really does??).

I purchased mine from TigerDirect.com (still my favorite electronics retailer) and had zero issues. There are no dead pixels, even after 3 years. The colors are crisp (at least enough for me) and I have not experienced any blur in videos or gaming.

If you're in the market for a very functional and inexpensive 19" monitor, I would highly recommend the Acer brand. I am currently in the market to a pair of 22-24" monitors, and they are definitely in the running with my past and current experiences.

No comments: