4 All Memory

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Yamaha RX-V663 - Review


Wow! Hmm, how can I say this a little bolder? WOW!

This thing is amazing. I've owned, and still own, many other receivers. I still have a Nakamichi and Sony in my arsenal, but this think is amazing. The power, adjustability, output options, all truly amazing.
I have a DVD player, DirecTV HD DVR, Laptop (for "alternate media" listening/watching), and VCR (yes we still use one) all connected to this unit, and it amazes me more every day.

I run it in a 5 channel setup currently. Center, FR, FL, SurR, SurL, and SW. The sound is beautiful. My plan is to use one of its many options and add a second set of front speaker for clarity and depth. My rear/surround speakers are in walls and do an excellent job of producing the mid and hi for the surround. I would like to add a little more from the center/front. This stereo has a great option that allows you to use the optional 7.1 rear channels for this option.

There are only 2 HDMI inputs, which could be better, but I only use one at this point anyway, so I'm not to put off by that. The HDMI output works excellent. I don't use my TVs sound, so I can't really comment on that.

The one thing that SOLD me on this TV was the ability to set an audio delay. If you're not familiar with this option, it's amazing, here's why. Most of todays high end TVs have excellent processors and video configurations. The downside is, all of the video reproduction takes time. Not a lot, but enough, and my TV is no exception. Before I got this unit, the sound came out before the video. Ever watched bad kung-fu? Ever tried watching every show and movie like that? It's very annoying. What the audio delay does is uses the units internal goodies to delay the sound input to more closely match the video output. What do you know, know the sound and video match! Woohoo! The best part for me is that it is manually adjustable. Yes, for some this could be cumbersome, but I'm a fiddler. I found that about a 73ms delay (yes, it's that detailed, and that little bit is annoying!) seemed to work great with my combo.

The power this unit has is amazing. I own another receiver that has the same rated output, but no where near the sound output and clarity of the Yamaha. I am very impressed with the sound form this unit. There is a ton of adjustability on this. If you have any detailed questions on my exact configuration, let me know and I can get you my settings. It works well in my situation.

I could go on and on about its features and functionality, but those things have been hashed out all over the web. Just wanted to give my selling points. I highly recommend this unit.

Pros: Sound clarity, power, adjustability, everything!
Cons: None I have found.

4.75/5 -
Very impressive unit.

No comments: