4 All Memory

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

LG VX8300 vs. LG VX8350 - Review

I used to carry the LG VX8300 in grey. I really liked that phone. Actually, had it not broken, I wouldn't have upgraded for the next few years still probably, and it was at least 2 years old. Well, anyway, I dropped it in a parking lot, and a car drove over it. Needless to say, they are not made to handle that.
So I got a new phone, the most recent version of the same phone, the LG VX8350. Truth be told, other than the missing antenna (when I say missing, it's now internal and not a physical feature), it is essentially identical.
The main difference I've actually noticed is the sound quality is much lower. It's tougher to get the sound at a reasonable level that is consistent. It often sounds like the person on the other end of the line has disconnected. Now I may be mistaking a very clear connection for a lost connection (which I believe is the case), but it's a bit un-nerving.
Other than that, the reception is slightly better, even with the internal antenna. The options are essentially identical, and so are all of the buttons (except for the minor appearance upgrades (slightly different shaped buttons). This time though, I got the red phone. I really miss the old grey. The new grey looks almost purple at times, so I didn't get that one.
One thing I've never understood, or should I say, ACCEPTED, about the phone manufacturers, is their obsession with redesigning the charger/docking connections. Even with the newer model of the same phone, I am forced to purchase a new charger for the car. I'm still not sure why that is a good decision, other than to make the manufacturers more money on accessories. Does every phone really need a different style of charger?
I'd like to give a big thank you shout out to all of the electronics manufacturers in this area for doing their part in expediting the growth of our landfills.

Pros: Better reception, no external antenna
Cons: Not a free upgrade. Sound is touchy. No button lock so the media player often starts in my pocket.

4.5/5

No comments: