4 All Memory

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Mitsubishi LT-52148 LCD - Review

We purchased this new TV along with a new stereo the week before the super bowl. We were having friends over, and it had been a plan for quite some time to upgrade as my current TV (an excellent Sony Trinitron) was purchased in 1999. It still works, and is now a fixture in our bedroom, but was starting to have some ghosting issues, and we figured we deserve it after being good at saving and not spending.

Ok, back to the TV. Setup was easy, and the picture is amazing. One of the complaints on some of the forums is the creepily lifelike image on many HD shows. Well, it's true, the images look almost 3D in some situations. The clarity is amazing. We like it, so I'm not complaining.

The energysaver mode is somewhat of a joke. It seems to not use the standby mode when it's turned off, and causes the TV to take about 60 seconds to turn on. This is just excessive. We use it in non-power-saver mode, and the TV still takes about 6-10 seconds to turn on. I believe some of the delay is the DirecTV HD DVR still booting up, so I can't attribute all of the delay to the TV. It's not a bother to us at that short time.

I have yet to see a 1080p presentation on the TV. DirecTV has 1080i, but nothing better I have found. I do not yet have a 1080p (BluRay) player, so I don't see me testing that anytime soon.

We often watch movies from an older DVD player in 480p, and the picture is still excellent.

We do not use the sound from the TV. I've read many complaints about the speakers. If you have a 52" TV, and do not have enough space and budget for a surround sound system, you're an idiot. Buy a smaller TV with better speakers, or get a real sound system, or put it in a bigger room where you have the space for proper sound. Sorry, these TVs are meant to be enjoyed with surround sound, especially at the 52" size. If you have to use the built in speakers, well, then you deserve the crappy sound. Sorry, that's just reality.

Pros: Beautiful picture.
Cons: None I've experienced.

4/5. - Not the best, especially with the new LED TVs on the market, but definitely not the worst.

No comments: